[Solved] Re-install Profile and move Cardbook

Cardbook for Thunderbird Forums Main Forum [Solved] Re-install Profile and move Cardbook

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  CardBook 3 months ago.

• Author

Labdoc
    Participant

I use Cardbook as a stand-alone, not connected to a server. I need to create a fresh Thunderbird profile (to fix some issues in the old profile) and reinstall the addons. There are questions:

1. install the Cardbook add-on first and then copy over the old profile Cardbook directories or

2.  copy old Cardbook directory to new profile first and install the add-on later

Or some other approach I have not thought of?

• This topic was modified 2 months, 2 weeks ago by  CardBook.

CardBook
    Keymaster

if you use a local address book (and not a directory or a file), you should copy the storage directory where is the indexedDB database used by Cardbook…. not sure this is the best approach as you might copy others things within this directory…

I advise you to export all your contacts to a directory and then to reimport them in a newly created address book… and don’t forget to make backups ;O)

Labdoc
    Participant

There must be a better approach. I have 16 address books, all in the directory [my_old_profile]\*.mab and also as [my_old_profile]\cardbook.

I guess one approach is to collapse these to a single address book and use the Category feature of Cardbook to segregate the addresses. Then export and import.

I tried installing Cardbook in the new (empty) profile and copying over the cardbook and mab files from [my_old_profile]. This does not work.

I wonder if a server approach would be better. Can I change to a “server” cardbook repository and preserve the current multiple address book configuration? How?

CardBook
    Keymaster

you can not change the type of an address book… you have to create remote address book… export|import to|from a directory is the easiest I think…

Labdoc
    Participant

OK. This worked.

1. In the old profile, Export existing Cardbook Address books as *.vcf files. One for each Address book.
    2. In the new profile, Import each *.vcf to create a new Address Book. The sequence is New Address Book>Local>Open Existing>Select the exported *.vcf.
    3. Re-select the colour

What would be an improvement is that the colour travelled with the address book VCF Export file.

This ‘solution’ could be added to the Wiki.

CardBook
    Keymaster

for the colors and others address book related properties, you may get them from your old profile in the file prefs.js (all the lines *cardbook*data*)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.