import multiple categories via vcard

Cardbook for Thunderbird Forums Main Forum import multiple categories via vcard

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  jaburio 4 days, 7 hours ago.

• Author

jaburio
    Participant

I want to migrate from local address book. There are lots of lists in it and they should be kept. So i used the addon MoreFunctionsForAddressBook to assign categories to the contacts. Now each contact is flagged with the categories called the same way the lists it is in are.

E.g. John Doe is in the list_a and list_b, the contact now has the categories list_a and list_b.

I want to import the contacts via vcf(3.0). This format supports multiple categories per contact. But CardBook sees this just as a string. So for the example above the categorie line would look sth. like

CATEGORIES;CHARSET=UTF-8:list_a, list_b

and CardBook creates *one* category called “list_a, list_b”. Is there a special delimiter i have to use or can this feature be implemented?

Thanks a lot for your help!

CardBook
    Keymaster

CardBook can not produce such a line :

don’t you want to import your Thunderbird standard address books in Cardbook first, then add categories in CardBook ?

jaburio
    Participant

I used the plugin “MoreFunctionsForAddressBook” to export the standard address book*s*. The problem is to keep all the lists within these address books and some reciepients of one address book are in more than one list.  I want to keep this structure. So i used “MoreFunctionsForAddressBook” to tag all contacts with categories that have the same names as the lists they are in. My problem: CardBook does not understand that there can be more than one category in a VCF formatted file. In VCF it looks like the line in my first post:

The delimiter can be manipulated, so it can be a “,” or “:” or “;” or whatever neccesary. But the category string has to be exploded into array elements. And it seems, this isn’t implemented yet or i don’t know the correct delimiter.

Please help!

CardBook
    Keymaster

if I add this line in a vcf file :

the contact is correctly imported with two categories… how do you pass the contacts from Thunderbird standard address books to CardBook

jaburio
    Participant

I exported them via TB-plugin “MoreFunctionsForAddressBook” into VCF 3.0 format. In CardBook i selected the CardDAV-Server/connection in the left panel, clicked it with the right mouse button (context menu) and select “Import from file”. Then i chose the exported VCF 3.0 file.

CardBook version was 21.9. Couldn’t test it with the actual one. But changelog doesn’t show any bugs or new features concerning this topic.

ps: Wow, you’re really fast 😉

• This reply was modified 5 days, 8 hours ago by  jaburio.

CardBook
    Keymaster

may you email me your vcf file ? (cardbook.thunderbird@gmail.com)

jaburio
    Participant

you’ve got mail

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.