Accidentally deleted all contacts

Cardbook for Thunderbird Forums Main Forum Accidentally deleted all contacts

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  deepee 5 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

deepee
    Participant

I’m not sure how this happened, but I was trying to resize one of the panes in the Cardbook display, and suddenly all of my contacts disappeared. I then watched in horror as over the next few seconds, all deletions were synchronized to my CardDAV server.

I recently backed up my machine, but I wasn’t able to find where the Cardbook contacts were stored. Some questions.

• What happened?
    • How can I recover my contacts?

Thanks,
    Deepee

CardBook
    Keymaster

woh :  really unlucky

so first when this happens, delete your address book and recreate it…. and for the beef, I have really no idea on how this happened… it is the first that such an issue (deleting all the contacts in a user operation) is reported…

so to recover, stop Thunderbird, restore your Thunderbird profile and then restart…

I’m very interested if you were able to reproduce….

deepee
    Participant

Hmmm…restoring my Thunderbird profile didn’t seem to help. Do you know where the actual files would be stored so that I can take a look? I looked inside cardbook/<UUID>/ but didn’t see anything there.

Thanks,
    Deepee

Participant

Same thing happened to me. Well i added my Nextcloud Address book with the Carddav Address. I don’t know exactly what happened but yes resizing the panes for a better view is a thing that i did. And a few seconds later i recognized that Cardbook synced deletions to my Nextcloud = all Contacts gone.
    Whenever i restore a backup on my Nextcloud and open Cardbook it begins aggain. Any Idea what i’m doing wrong? I thing it might be the same Porblem deepee has.

Thanks in Advance

CardBook
    Keymaster

don’t think it’s due to a resizing… haven’t you moved your contacts to another address book ?… I don’t understand why Cardbook deletes again your contacts (which is for me incredible)… I’m in hollidays till the 23th of april and when back I’m very interested in investigating this… in the meanwhile, may you set the debug mode and increase the CardBook log size (50000) in CardBook prefs, restart Thunderbird, restore your backup, sync Cardbook and email me the full Cardbook log…

deepee
    Participant

Sorry, I thought I had posted how I eventually restored my contacts. The key is to cut the connection between CardBook and your CardDAV server. There are many ways to do this, but one easy way is to disconnect from the Internet. Then restore your backup, and when you open CardBook your contacts should remain there because CardBook won’t be able to synchronize with the server. Next, export those contacts to a file, then reconnect to your server. Your contacts will be wiped out again, but now you can import them all from a file.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.